The Exeter Initiative for Science and Technology (ExIST) was founded in June 2011 by a group of business leaders from Exeter and the surrounding area. The Initiative aims to optimise interaction between organisations (business, academic, and schools) with interests in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine (STEMM), to increase awareness of Exeter as a centre for science and technology, to build relationships between education at all levels and businesses, and to encourage investment in all STEMM organisations in the region.
Through the Met Office and Exeter University, we are the leading climate science region in the world. Alongside our growing tech community of start-ups and growing businesses and the ever-expanding Science Park, we have a rich, vibrant and ambitious STEMM community.
We are looking for a chairperson to lead EXIST, to take it forward by championing, facilitating, and supporting the science and technology sectors.
The role is unpaid, and applicants should be prepared to allocate between one and two days per month and will also be required to join the Exeter Chamber of Commerce Board.
- Develop an ongoing strategy for ExIST
- Continue to develop Exeter’s profile as the home for STEMM in the South West and raise its profile throughout the UK
- Develop a programme of activities in support of ExIST aims (support is provided by Exeter Chamber to deliver this programme)
- Champion all things STEMM in Exeter, engaging with other like-minded organisations in the region
- Join the Exeter chamber board and work as part of the chamber team to champion the success of the business community
- You will have a strong STEMM business background
- Be passionate about STEMM in the region
- Provide strong leadership and be able to engage a wide group of stakeholders
- You may be looking to broaden your experience and engage with a wider audience across the region
To learn more about this role and the opportunity, please call Jo Caine or Clodagh Murphy in the first instance on 01392 413577.